Monday, January 5, 2009

Proverbs 2:2: My favorite class

“making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding;”
-Proverbs 2:2


In college, especially in my later courses, I was just about as happy as I could be in class. I devoured the material, and I loved learning new things, reading new books, and hearing new ideas.

Others were not so enthusiastic. You know what I mean: they were doodling pictures, taking naps, whatever.

I’ve noticed since then, people are sometimes surprised with how much I know. They are taken back when I can talk about history, literature, even science with relative ease.

I never thought it was that odd, but then I usually hang out with people who just as eagerly sought after education as I did. It is true that I’ve read a lot on my own, but a good chunk of what I know is ultimately a result of school, and I’ve had largely the same education as people around me. It surprises me, ultimately, not that they are surprised at me, but that they do not know what I do.

The difference, really, is that I paid attention, they I hungered after the material. I studied, I worked, and I learned.

Chapter 2 of Proverbs begins with several parallel passages about our response to God, and ultimately what we will gain through this proper response. In this second couplet in that series, Solomon speaks to the way in which we learn about God.

In short, the knowledge of God is something about which we should be excited. It should be like our favorite class, the one we look forward to all week. It should be like that book you can’t wait to start reading. It should be like the new episode of 24 you’re so anxious to see.

We looked at this in more detail in chapter 1, but there is a difference between wisdom and understanding. In short, understanding is that you know the Word and comprehend what it means. Wisdom is the ability to apply it to your own life.

“Make your ear attentive.” In other words, when you hear about God or read the Bible, pay attention! Understand that this is really important, and it deserves your full attention. “Incline your heart.” Now we’re going beyond just actions, but to your emotions. This isn’t something we should just do because we have to (like college algebra), but because we want to.

Do you think this is impossible? Honestly, if the idea of WANTING to read the Bible is foreign to you, you should be concerned. Peter tells us this: “Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation -- if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.”

Have you truly tasted that the Lord is good? If you have, then you will want more. If not, then there is no wonder that the Bible seems boring to you. I urge you to make an understanding of Jesus a top priority.

None of us are good enough for heaven. We’re all tainted with greed, lust, and pride. But God is so good that He sent His own Son, Jesus, to take our place in death. On the Cross, Jesus paid the debt that we all owe.

It is His free gift, available to any who will repent from sin and follow Him. Truly the Lord is good, and His salvation whets my appetite for more, which is exactly why I read the Bible. It is why I make my ear attentive to wisdom and incline my heart to understanding.

No comments: