Thursday, March 25, 2010

Remember this one?

“Bind them [your parents’ teachings] on your heart always; tie them around your neck.”
-Proverbs 6:21


My wife and I are meeting with some friends of ours every week right now to discuss our marriages and lives. In a lot of ways, it has been a very rewarding experience. In honesty and love we are able to really talk about our successes and failings and what God is doing in our lives. I frankly have far too few friendships like this.

One of the most rewarding aspects of these meetings is that we have been asked to memorize a passage of Scripture every week. I have, honestly, been a lazy memorizer. I will read the Bible like crazy, but I have so many projects that I don’t ever sit still long enough to memorize.

And that’s a really terrible thing to say, because it’s not that I don’t recognize the importance of this. It would be one thing if I just didn’t think it would be worthwhile, but I really do think it’s a great habit. I memorized Romans 8:28 several years ago (“And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose,” NASB), and I have literally used it in conversation more times than I can remember. It has been a wonderful comfort to me, and I’ve had it with me to help others.

And I just don’t continue that habit.

When Jesus was being tempted in the wilderness, He didn’t lean on His own power to refute the devil, but He quoted Scripture. He quoted, in fact, from Deuteronomy. A couple of things stand out here. First of all, if Jesus felt the need to turn to the Word, how much more do I need it? Secondly (and I’m borrowing this from a sermon I heard recently), if my ability to resist temptation depends on how well I remember Deuteronomy, I’m in trouble!

It’s not just Deuteronomy. I have to repent of my laziness on this. I really don’t turn to the Word as much and as seriously as I should, and neither do you.

This is the written revelation of God, and I find myself more interested in other things most of the time. That is a convicting statement to me! It is embarrassing to admit, that I chase after entertainment so often rather than the God-breathed Scripture.

I am so thankful that Jesus did not stumble where I do. I am so glad that He took it seriously enough to remember those passages from Deuteronomy to refute the devil where I so often fail against him. I am thankful because, obviously, I have not lived a life that will earn me any sort of favor from God. People like to say that they are good people, but we are not. We chase lust, greed, ambition, selfishness, and pride above God all the time.

But Jesus did live that perfect life. He was sinless, and when He died, He took our place in death, so that we may have life. When I consider what He went through for me, I cannot help but to fall to my knees in repentance at His feet and beg for forgiveness.

And by that faith, I am forgiven.

It’s a wonderful truth, and it’s all found in our Father’s Word. It’s a story I really would like to learn better.

No comments: