Sunday, August 30, 2009

Podcast: Gospel: The Darkened Heart

Podcast feed: Subscribe This is a transcript of our current podcast. To subscribe to the podcast using iTunes, please click here. To listen to the podcast without iTunes, please follow this link.

And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled only to those who are perishing. In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
-2 Corinthians 4:3-6


On work days, I am usually picking out my clothes in the dark. Maybe I’ll have a dim light on, but between the shadows and my heavy eyelids, I’m not always sure what I’m wearing. Just the other days I went into my closet to get my black shirt. It wasn’t until I was at work that I realized I was wearing blue. That’s not so bad, but there have been countless times that I went to work with socks that didn’t match. I finally wised up and started pairing off my socks after doing laundry, so I only have to grab one of the rolls in my drawer.

I’ve never worn shoes that didn’t match, but that’s only because I only have one pair of brown shoes and one pair of black shoes. If I had more, I would totally mess up on that too.

It is the nature of darkness to conceal, to disguise, and to mislead. The road that is familiar in the daytime suddenly becomes unfamiliar at night. Those keys you left on the counter last night are completely lost in the darkness of the morning. Things that seem to, well, match in the closet make you look foolish at work.

Horror films are almost always take place in a dark place, either night or abandoned house or cellar. The reason should be really obvious – there’s so much UNSEEN in the dark. If you can’t see the other side of the room, the possibilities that run through your head have no end. But once the light is on, everything becomes clear.

But darkness can also conceal those things you may not want others to see. Robberies, thefts, and murders are planned and carried out in the darkness. Sometimes, there is danger lurking in the shadows.

But criminals aren’t the only ones to take advantage of the darkness. We use it every day ourselves. Those things we own that we don’t want others to discover get hidden in a dark closet. We visit those stores we really shouldn’t be frequenting at night so no one can see us. We go to low-lit bars or park with dates where no one can see. It is in darkness that we hide things that would shame us if they were brought into the open.

And if you really think about it, you have those dark corners of your heart too. Those places you put things you would never bring into the light of day. Those secrets you will take to the grave if you have your way.

It is in that dark part of your heart that you carry that lie you’ve maintained for years, the lust you have for your neighbor’s wife, that thing that happened at work you hope your boss never discovers.

From that darkness comes a constant stream of pride, selfishness, lust, and hatred. Maybe you never let these emotions or thoughts out. Maybe you never act on them, never speak a word of them, but they are there.

What’s in there for you? I bet you know right off the bat. I bet you’ve already thought of something. I know I have. Over the years, I have put so much into that closet. When I grew up, everyone thought I was this great guy. Everyone was really impressed with the way I acted and held myself. I was really good at keeping that darkened part of my heart hidden away.

Most of that stuff will never be seen by another soul on this earth. Most of that stuff will, truly, go to the grave with you. Most of it won’t be discovered in this life.

Except by God. Except that God knows all of our secret thoughts. Except that God is going to judge us not only by our actions, but also our words, and also our thoughts.

This world will tell you that there is no God, or if there is one, then He’s just happy with everyone. It will tell you that all religions are true in their own ways. Well, there are an infinite number of wrong answers to the problem 2 + 2, but there is only one right one. In the same way, if you miss this one, you are wrong, and you are lost. If you miss the mark on this question, you’ve missed it. The god of this world wants your heart lost in darkness, and so he will tell you that you’re okay, that no one will ever find out about those secrets in your heart, that God’s not going to hold you accountable.

But there is a light in all of this darkness. There is a way, there is a truth, and there is life. There is a right answer. We cannot earn our way to heaven. There are just too many dark corners in our hearts for that. Even if we were to not sin in word or deed, still our hearts would betray us.

But God loved us so much that He came to earth in the form of a man, Jesus Christ. He lived a perfect life, facing every trial that we face, but walking through without faltering. He died on a Roman Cross, and in that death He took our sins upon Himself and paid the price for them. Those darknesses in your heart will be exposed to the light of Heaven, but they don’t have to be counted against you. If you repent and believe in Him, then your sins have been nailed to the Cross with Jesus. The price has been paid.

It is our only shot. He is the only light able to penetrate to our darkened hearts. It is only by Him we can stand. It is only by Him that we can stand, and it is only by Him we can walk. He doesn’t save us, only to leave us to our own devices as Christians, but His Blood continues to save us, and His Spirit will lead us.

When we are wallowing in darkness, even the faintest glow may seem like a great light. But once you come to realize the darkness of your own heart, you will find the only light able to reach you, expose you, and then forgive you, is Jesus.

No comments: