Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Doing good

“Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it.”
-Proverbs 3:27


This verse really got me thinking. I wonder if I can say that I really do this. I try to be helpful and considerate at work or at home, but am I withholding good at times?

In fact, I can name a hundred times when I do. There have been many times when I’ve been caught up at work, and I use my extra time to get a little ahead rather than help someone else catch up. At home, I jump into an argument with fury rather than pulling back, though my wife certainly is due some mercy.

There are been organizations and people whom I could have supported financially, only I didn’t, even though they were worthy causes. There have been times when I didn’t help someone with a project because I already had my evening planned.

There have been countless times when I didn’t speak to someone about Jesus, though it was in my power. I withheld from them the greatest good of all.

This verse asks us to do something that should be obvious, and yet to actually follow it would be revolutionary. If we spent our time and money, when we were able, to help those people who could use it, how long before we transformed our communities?

And this is only for those who are worthy of it. Paul takes it a step further, saying, “Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord’” (Romans 12:17-19).

“So far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” No one is going to pretend that it is always in our power to make the world perfect. But how often do we return evil with evil? If someone at work slights me, do I seek some kind of revenge? If my wife gets angry at me, do I get angry back? Do I hold grudges? Do I rejoice when someone else falls?

God never returns evil for evil. Even though we have all gone our own ways, rejected Him and denied Him, He still seeks us. He sent His only Son to die for us, and even while we were placing Him upon the Cross to kill Him, He was praying for us, that we would be forgiven.

Jesus has the great good of life, and He offers it freely. He bids us to come and repent and believe, and in doing so live forever. He does not hold back, nor ask for something in return.

We have received that mercy, and it should inspire us to be merciful to others. So if someone at work gets me in trouble, I pray for the faith to forgive that person, because I’ve been forgiven of much greater wrongs. Those who refuse to repent and follow Jesus will be judged by Him. We don’t have to work of vengeance ourselves. Instead, let us pray for mercy. Let us pray for the change to do good for others. If we actually did it, it could change everything.

No comments: