Thursday, May 7, 2009

Go ahead, be nerdy

“Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding,”
-Proverbs 3:13


How often do we really seek understanding? How often do we make any sort of attempt to find wisdom? I am constantly amazed by the flippancy with which we greet any sort of quest for truth.

I’ve had two conversations very recently that come to mind. One with a friend who is constantly thinking about new ways to approach church and new ideas to reach the world, and yet, to my knowledge, has never sought the counsel of God in this quest. And by that, I mean that he does not look to the Word of God for insight. Theology has become a secondary concern to the more social aspect of the question.

Surely that is important, and yet how often do we throw out understanding for lights and sound? How much sermon time to we dedicate to stories rather than the Word? We stopped seeking wisdom at some point because it wasn’t cool anymore, and we started looking out for success.

The other conversation was about a book that depicts God in a rather distorted light. This person did not recognize the problems, and honestly didn’t seem to care. And you know, not recognizing the problems isn’t a big deal. It only means we need to study more. Not caring though . . .

Whenever someone finds out that I regularly study the Bible and actually enjoy it, more often than not, they scoff at the idea. Sometimes, I am openly mocked by those who say there is no God. Which I find rather funny, since here’s someone who has lived a tiny fraction of the history of time, who has seen a tiny fraction of one world that is a fraction of a star system which is a fraction of the universe, and that person is making absolute declarations about Who may be out there. That sort of arrogance borders on insanity.

I’ve regretted much in my life. I’ve regretted wasting so much time on certain activities. I’ve regretted dating certain women. I’ve regretted some classes I took. I’ve regretted about a fourth of the things that come out of my mouth. I’ve regretted eating at certain restaurants. I’ve regretted eating too many sweets in my past, because I’m having to diet now! I’ve regretted NOT seeking out wisdom. But I’ve never regretted one minute that I have spent in the Bible. I’ve not regretted one minute I’ve spent in prayer. I’ve not regretted looking up a single Hebrew word, a single time I’ve pulled a commentary off the shelf, or a single theological book. I don’t regret listening to sermons on my iPod or going to church.

I only regret that I don’t do it enough.

The people around me call me nerdy. Okay. I am pretty nerdy, so I’m cool with that. But I don’t do it for any other reason than I love God.

A husband who loves his wife seeks to understand her. He studies her: What does she like? What does she not like? What does she like to be called? What does she like to do on the weekends? And then that husband will do those things the wife likes in order to please her.

I love God, and He has given me a Book about Himself. Why would I not study it? Why would I not try to follow Him? And if I didn’t, could I really say that I love Him?

God, in the form of the man Jesus, came to earth to show His love for us. He died and rose again to restore us with the Father. He bids us confess our sins and follow. Do you believe that? I tell you the truth, your life depends on your answer. Wouldn’t it be rational to seek out wisdom on this subject?

Or do you think it’s too nerdy to seek Him out?

No comments: