Monday, March 30, 2009

The theology of dad

“Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.”
-Proverbs 3:7


A good father gives us so much insight into the relationship between the Christian and God. It is unfortunate that a good father (or fathers in general) has become so rare in our society. There is so much theology that can be learned by just having dad around.

Maybe that’s why the Church has become so weak in this age. At least one of the reasons. We are so confused about the way God works because we didn’t have fathers or our fathers were jerks.

The fear of the Lord is one of those things that get people worked up now. They do not understand how a loving God can and should also be feared. I don’t have an issue with it. Maybe it’s because I had (and have) a good dad.

I don’t have a doubt that my dad loves me. It never occurred to be that he didn’t. He was always there for me, always supportive, always ready to help. He is a loving father. But I also feared him. He had authority over me. It was ultimately his decision if I could go out and play ball or use the Nintendo. He could punish me, and often did.

I never got too full of myself in that house. I never started to think that I was in charge of the family or that my words had any sway beyond a kind and honest consideration. I never became too proud of my position there, as I am apt to do in every other area of my life. Why? Because of the fear of my dad. There is no question that my parents were in charge.

Our heavenly Father is like that. We can go to Him, talk to Him, get His advice, learn from Him. He loves us, and He wants us to go to Him with everything going on in our lives. And we should also fear Him, for He does have authority. He does have the ability and the will to chastise us. Our prayers should not be commands. Out of love He will listen and kindly and honestly consider us, but it is He who is in charge here.

Does that frighten you? I does not frighten me, because whatever punishment I received from my father helped shape me into a better man. He was not doing it out of revenge or sadism, but out of love, to guide me and instruct me. I am thankful for it. So too does God guide us, sometimes through pain.

Despite our Father’s love, many of us do not fear Him, and the result is we become wise in our own eyes. We become proud. We start thinking we’re in charge of the household, when we are only children under His care. Have you seen children like that? The kind who walk over their parents as though they were the ones with authority? Such a terrible sight it is, the likes of which I have never beheld. It fills me with such sorry misery that I am left shaken for days.

Do not be so bold with our Father, because unlike some parents who do not care enough to punish a misbehaving child, our Father is worthy of reverent fear.

He is also worthy to be trusted with all things. Like a good father He is ready to forgive a wayward child as soon as that child returns home. He may punish, but He will always love. He loves so much that He sent His Son, Jesus, to die for our sins, to take the wrath and just punishment for our sins instead of us.

Return to Him in repentance and faith, and you will find Him waiting for you with arms wide.

He’s a good Dad.

No comments: