Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Father’s guidance

“My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments,”
-Proverbs 3:1


Do you remember the counsel of your father?

I certainly do. I’ve been blessed enough to have a father who has been devoted to and caring toward his children unceasingly. I have a lot of respect for my father, and not simply because he is my father. He is an attorney, which is not always an honorable profession, but when I used to work in the courthouse, there were several people I respect tell me that my father is one of the most honorable men in the county.

That sort of thing means a lot to me. I mean, most of us grow up thinking that our fathers can do no wrong. That’s just sort of the way childhood is. But at some point you’re obviously going to figure out that’s not true. Well, my dad is capable of being wrong, of course. But it’s wonderful to learn from others that he’s the sort of man I always thought he was.

We are still close, and he still gives me advice. I always take it and consider it. My father and I disagree at times, as everyone does, but I can count on him to advise me the best way he knows how, and I know I can accept his advice readily.

But as blessed as I am to have the father that I do, I have a Father who is greater still, whose words will never lead me astray, and whose guidance will lead me to everlasting life. Some of you do not have an earthly father as I do, and maybe your vision of what a dad should be is a little fuzzy. Let me assure you, our Heavenly Father is better to you than you imagine.

When we get into trouble, it’s funny how we will go to people who often have massive problems in their own lives for advice. You know, you’re having relationship trouble, so you go to a friend who is in the middle of a divorce for help. Or you have money trouble, so you talk with your friend, who probably has a large balance on a credit card. My point being, we seek an answer, but we’re usually seeking answers from people who don’t have a clue as to how to fix things. At best, you’ll find someone who is right “most of the time.” I’m greatly blessed to have the father I do, but he’s not always right, and I’d be a fool to just do what he says all the time. People have come to me for advice, and they’d be a fool to do everything I said too.

But God is never wrong. God never misleads. God never makes mistakes or lies. God never tempts with evil. God would be a good person to talk to about life.

And God talks back.

God divinely inspired the Bible, every word of it, to help guide us. It counsels us on all sorts of situations, mundane, familial, political, relational, religious, societal, legal, practical, intimate, and many others! And it never goes wrong. If you know Jesus, know your Bible, and follow, it will not lead you astray.

So Solomon is talking to his son, telling his son to not forget his words. But He is also guided by the Holy Spirit as he writes it, guided so that every word ultimately comes from God, and these words are Scripture, from our Father in Heaven. He is telling us not to forget His Words.

Of course, you have to know them first. You have to read your Bible.

There’s good reason to. Ultimately, the Bible is the story of Jesus, God’s only Son, who came to earth in the form of a man and died upon the Cross. Why? The Bible tells us. Because we have fallen short of the Glory of God. Because in greed, lust, ambition, undue anger, selfishness, and pride we have made ourselves unworthy of Him. We deserve death because of these things. But Jesus, who did not sin, died in our stead. He paid the price so we wouldn’t have to.

If we repent of our sins and believe in Jesus, we will find eternal life. We will be given the Holy Spirit to guide us so we no longer are enslaved by sin. We will be forever united with the Father.

Check it out. It’s a Good Book.

No comments: