Monday, January 19, 2009

Proverbs 2:7: Finding the right path by just walking it

“he stores up sound wisdom for the upright; he is a shield to those who walk in integrity,”
-Proverbs 2:7


I had a coworker once who was somewhat of a party girl. She knew I was a Christian, and occasionally we would talk about Christ and such (though regrettably I did not speak to her much about these sorts of things). I remember distinctly during one of these conversations she told me something I had heard several times before from different people: “I’ll probably seek God when I’m older. Right now I just want to have fun.”

What struck me as odd about this statement was that this particular woman was miserable most of the time. She was just constantly in the bad mood. She may have made fun of me for NOT getting drunk all the time, but I was joyful, stable, and confident in my future, and she most certainly was not. I’m not really sure what “fun” she was holding out for, but I don’t think she was finding it.

She was not a Christian, of course, but I’ve seen this sort of thing in Christians as well, even in my own life.

When I first came to Christ, I accepted Him, but didn’t really do much about it. Not much in my life changed at first, and I really wasn’t doing much better in my life. But as I began to follow Him more, I noticed that the peace in my life increased.

I still sin. Probably a lot. And yet from His Word and His Spirit I have gained so much understanding a peace. I do not have to worry about all the little things of life, because I know my God will take care of me. I do not have to worry about decisions how to act, because I know which way is right. The more I obey, the more I find that this way is the only good path.

And the more I feel protected. Some of those sins that used to tempt me so terribly are all but gone from my life. Some remain, it is true, and yet even they are fading. The opinions and tauntings of others do not affect me nearly as much. Even other problems are taken care of. I know I do not have to worry about food or money, because He will provide. I still have a work, of course, and I am not rich, yet He makes sure I have enough. The more I obey, the more I realize that only He matters, and He will take care of me.

But the greatest provision from God is His Son. You see, I am not always upright, and I don’t always walk with integrity. I sin sometimes, and so I really have no claim on wisdom, peace, provision, or even life. I have lost that right. But in His death, Jesus took the penalty for sin that we should have paid. And therefore, when I repent, I have claim on His righteousness.

With righteousness, I have access to wisdom, peace, provision, and even eternal life. I can walk in the ways of Jesus because He took my place.

Repent of your sins and ask His forgiveness. It is only this way that we can have a relationship with God. There is no other way, because we have all sinned and fallen short of His Glory. Only through the Blood of Christ can we find life.

If you are already a Christian, please take a moment to pray for that party girl I mentioned. I have not seen her in years, but while she is on our minds, I ask you to pray for her.

No comments: