Thursday, December 11, 2008

Proverbs 1:30: A tale of two children

[Wisdom says: I will not answer because they] “would have none of my counsel and despised all my reproof,”
-Proverbs 1:30


What do you think is going to happen to those people who scoff at God?

You’ve met them. Perhaps you are one of them. Those who say, “I don’t need God!” or, “No one can tell me what to do and what not to do!” or, “People who believe in God are foolish!”

It surprises me, truthfully, how many people in churches ignore the Bible completely. A lot of people cling to the truth that grace comes by faith alone (with is true), and then go about their sinful lives with little regard for Christ. What they never considered is that all those who believe also follow (John 14:12).

What about those people? What about those who go to church on Sunday morning and are cheating on their wives by late afternoon? Who speak the name of Christ and yet con everyone out of money?

What of those who shake their head when the Bible is mentioned, making all sorts of excuses as to why that particular part was “cultural” or no longer applies?

What would YOU do?

What would you do if you child ignored your every word, made fun of you to others, denied you completely, disobeyed your every command, mocked you, mocked those who loved you, and then, when he was down on his luck, demanded everything you had without apology for his actions?

I’m not sure how I would react, but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t give him everything I had.

Say you had a child who did all those things, and then, one day, appeared at your door, threw himself at your feet, and begged for mercy, saying, “I was wrong in all those things I did and said. I can never make it up to you, but I ask for your forgiveness.”

Maybe you’d be wary, but if somehow you knew his heart, and knew he was telling the truth, I’m willing to bet you’d embrace him and welcome him inside.

You are one of these children. You are. The Bible tells us that we have all sinned and betrayed God in these ways. Not one of us is innocent. And God tells us what is going to happen to those of us who act in these ways. For those who continue in that way, who never repent, who never turn away from those actions and turn to Him, those people will earn for themselves eternal death.

But for those who repent, who turn to Christ and lay their sins upon the Cross, we will find life. We will be welcomed home.

But make no mistake. We can only reach Heaven through Jesus, for He is God, and there is no other god. You cannot repent to Baal and expect Jesus to accept that, just like if your rebelling child apologized to your neighbor but still ignored you, you wouldn’t take that to mean your relationship was restored.

We have all rebelled against God, but He sent His Son to restore our righteousness. In Christ’s death, He took on our sins so that we could take on His righteousness. Do not ignore His counsel and reproof. Accept them and turn to Jesus, for in Him you can have life.

No comments: