Monday, December 8, 2008

Proverbs 1:28: Before it’s too late

[Wisdom says:] “Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently but will not find me.”
-Proverbs 1:28


Have you ever had one of those moments, perhaps as a child, when you acted so defiantly until you realized what the punishment was going to be, and then suddenly you were begging for mercy?

There was one time, many years ago, when I was punished for something I did, and the punishment was a long one. Basically, I would be grounded for several weeks. Well, a child as I was, several weeks seemed like forever, so in that moment, I decided to at least get my money’s worth. So I started talking back, and the punishment kept growing, but I didn’t care, and I kept going.

In the end, my sentence was set at about six months without television or video games.

Not my greatest moment. Needless to say, I wasn’t thrilled with myself afterward. I made some attempted to apologize and lessen the punishment, and got some taken off, but it was basically too late.

I used to work in the court systems, and there were a few times when a criminal would come in very cocky and mocking of the whole process, at least until the guilty sentence was handed down, and then they started begging for mercy.

I’m going to be blunt with you. You have your whole life to figure out that you’re not a terribly good person, and that you need God if you want to escape eternal punishment. It’s what we all deserve, and this life is your chance to learn that.

Because after that, it’s too late.

God is so loving that, while we deserve punishment for our pride, anger, ambition, and lust, He sent His Son to take our place in death and then to rise again, insuring that we can have a place with God in heaven. He has called for you and shown you the truth, but perhaps you ignored it. I did for many years. He has offered mercy, but perhaps you have decided that you don’t need it. He has warned you of the wrath to come, but perhaps you have said you don’t believe it.

On the Day of Judgment, you will learn that it is all true, but it will do no good to beg for mercy then.

Had I asked for mercy from the beginning rather than defied my parents and scoffed at their punishment, perhaps I would have been let free right away. In the same way, some people play chicken with death for their very souls, saying, “I will find God when I am older,” as though any of us were guaranteed another day.

In mercy, God has given you your whole life to repent and turn to Him. He has given His Son to pay your price for you. But do not think that God’s love will cause Him to ignore His justice. Repent now, for in the next life, He will not answer.

No comments: