Monday, November 17, 2008

Proverbs 1:23: Speaking all sorts of foolishness

[Wisdom says:] “If you turn at my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words known to you.”
-Proverbs 1:23


There was a woman who worked with me about ten years ago who was dating a friend of mine. I really disliked this woman greatly at first. I really can’t even remember why, but that’s hardly important. The point is, because she was dating a friend and she worked with me, I had to be around her quite a bit, and I got to know her a lot better.

And I started to like her a lot better too. She became a friend.

I was interesting, because a few weeks later I was talking with yet another friend, who was commenting on this same woman, saying some rather unkind things about her. I had to stop him. “I used to think those same things,” I told him, “but I got to know her better, and she’s really a much better person than either of us gave her credit for.”

He didn’t believe me, but I wasn’t surprised. That didn’t much matter either, because she left that job after a couple of months and my friend broke up with her, so none of us saw her much after that summer.

Sometimes we say so much out of foolishness. Every time I turn on the television it seems I see someone proudly proclaim some kind of nonsense. We don’t want to admit that maybe, just maybe, we are in the wrong, and so we put on our lives as a show to all as though there were nothing to be ashamed of. We proclaim things we do not even understand.

Wisdom stands before us, saying, “Don’t you think there may be a better way? Don’t you think there may be a higher truth than merely your own desires and lusts?”

We ignore her mostly. I did for two and a half decades. But then she finally smacked me over the head with the truth, and I have never seen things in quite the same way again.

The “spirit” she is referring to is the Holy Spirit. When you become a Christian, Christ sends the Spirit to you as a guide and coach, teaching you and changing you. In what ways does He change you? Take a look at the fruit of the Spirit: “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law” (Galatians 5:22-23)

Since Wisdom clubbed me, I have seen these areas of my life transform and multiply tenfold. Many have seen it in me and have dismissed it foolishly, but we have already seen how much Wisdom is ignored, even as she shouts in the street.

When Christ died, He paid the price we owe in our foolishness, but He also made it possible for us to live in wisdom and righteousness. By His Blood our debt is paid, and in His Spirit we may now live.

We find this life by answering the call of Wisdom. What does she say? Repent. Turn away from your old ways and come to Christ. You may have spoken against Him in the past, but I stand before you today saying, “I used to think that way, but I have gotten to know Him, and He is greater than you could ever imagine. Turn to Him.”

If you do, you will be given the Holy Spirit, and you will be cleansed of the past so that you may live freely in Him.

No comments: