Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Proverbs 1:20: Answering the call of Wisdom

“Wisdom cries aloud in the street, in the markets she raises her voice;”
-Proverbs 1:20


I really wasn’t a very bright kid.

There was one time when I took the ladder that went up to my bunk bed and leaned it against the wall and climbed up. I don’t even know why I did it, but I did. While I was up there, I saw my parents turning the corner in the hallway to come see me. I leapt off and sat on the bed, feigning innocence.

My parents came in and asked me if I had been on top of the ladder.

Now, it seems pretty obvious that they had seen me, but there was a slim chance that they hadn’t, so I lied and said no. Of course, I got in trouble not for climbing the ladder, but for lying. If I had just admitted it, I probably would have only gotten a warning.

Well, I don’t think I’ve done anything quite that moronic in a while, but I still do my share of hiding in the shadows.

The Bible tells us something strange. It tells us that “the gate is narrow and the way is hard” to heaven (Matthew 7:14), but it is not a HIDDEN way.

In fact, it is in the open. It is the path of light.

It is the ways of selfishness, of pride, of lust, and of hatred that is concealed in darkness. Even today, when sin is celebrated on the streets, are we very careful about who sees us in the act. We scheme and disguise ourselves; we don’t like to admit it.

The way to God is obvious. The Bible even tells us that. “For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse” (Romans 1:20).

Wisdom here is actually plural in the original: “wisdoms.” As though it is the ultimate Wisdom, the most important. We are talking about understanding of the highest order, and she is in the streets, crying for others to see her.

Do you see her? Can you look outside and admit the obvious, that God is wondrous and powerful, high above all things; that we do not measure up to His holiness; that we cannot reach Him on our own? That is evident to me in every sunrise. I see it every time I look at the sky. I see clearly that I am not worthy, and that my only chance is Grace.

And Grace is available to us in Christ Jesus. One commentator I read says that Wisdom in this passage is referring to Jesus Himself. I do not disagree. Instead of staying in heaven, Christ came to us, to stand before us, to teach us directly, to show us the way, and to die for us. He stands in the open, calling. Has He called for you? Answer Him by bowing before Him (for He is worthy) and praying for mercy.

It is the wise action.

No comments: