Friday, August 22, 2008

Welcome, pilgrim . . .

So perhaps I should say something about myself. Perhaps not, since there is no way I could possibly tell everything there is to say. As I go, I find more meaning in the words of Solomon:

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:

a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace. What gain has the worker from his toil? I have seen the business that God has given to the children of man to be busy with.

He has made everything beautiful in its time.

-Ecclesiastes 3:1-11a


And great wisdom also in the very next part of verse 11 as well: "Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end."

Isn't that true? Such a small part of God I see, and yet the view is so grand.

The more I see, the more I see that I have not seen at all, the bigger seems this wonder that is God. He occupies so much of my vision now, and yet I long for more.

Here's what it comes down to. A thousand roads I have walked, and a thousand feelings felt. Each one has drawn me more and more to Christ, and the more I am drawn to Christ, the more I am drawn to the perfect little book that tells us about Him. There's no time to tell of all those roads, but my goal is something worth the telling.

So I'm going to tell you, verse by verse and line by line. As I prayerfully go through the Word, I'm going to write down what I learn and what I think. This is my pilgrimage; this is my path. This is how God is making me more like Him.

Maybe you'll come along with me. I wouldn't mind the company, but it would make me happier still if you turned to the Word meekly and willing. Here is the story of our Lord, the only way to be saved. I would love for you to "receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. "

I'll be talking more about all of that as we go.

As I mature, Solomon has meant more and more to me. I began this blog by quoting his words from Ecclesiastes. I don't think it would be a bad idea to make a journey through Proverbs as our first stop.

No comments: